Above: Anyone who loves gardening should plan to attend the Garden Faire in April at Bulloch Hall. SPECIAL
The North Fulton Master Gardeners, in partnership with the UGA Cooperative Extension in Fulton County, is conducting a series of nine free classes for North Fulton residents. Each class emphasizes practical activities at the time of year that’s best suited for it.
Maintaining and Pruning Shrubs and Roses covers the when, where and how to prune with a hands-on demonstration. Feb. 17 in Sandy Springs, Feb. 18 in Roswell and Feb. 19 in Alpharetta.
Lawn Care for Spring and Summer gives you the info you need at the ideal time to treat your turf—before weeds germinate. Feb. 24 in Sandy Springs, Feb. 25 in Roswell and Feb. 26 in Alpharetta.
Growing Fruit in Georgia features a talk by Melissa Mattee, Fulton County Agriculture and Resource Agent for the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. She’ll cover the selection, planting, pruning, disease and harvesting of fruit trees, brambles and more. After the lecture, participants are invited to join her and Master Gardeners in the adjoining Bulloch Orchard for a hands-on demonstration. Feb. 29, 10-11:30 a.m. at Bulloch Hall’s Osage Room, 180 Bulloch Avenue in Roswell.
The other classes in the series are:
- Good Soil and Composting (March 9-11)
- The Fragrant Garden (March 16-18)
- The Basics of Vegetable Gardening (March 23-25)
- Hydrangeas—How to Plant, Grow and Prune (March 30-April 1)
- Container Gardening for Gardens, Patios, and Apartment Decks (April 6 & 7)
- Establishing and Growing Perennials (April 20-22)
Where and when
Classes are offered weekdays, 7-8:30 p.m. at several locations:
- Lost Corner Preserve, 7300 Brandon Mill Road in Sandy Springs
- Bill Johnson Community Activity Building, Roswell Area Park, 10495 Woodstock Road in Roswell
- Alpharetta Public Works Department, 1790 Hembree Road in Alpharetta
- Alpharetta City Hall, 2 Park Plaza in Alpharetta
Registration and additional info
- Sandy Springs: friendsoflostcorner.org/master-gardener-classes
- Roswell: roswellgov.com/register, Activity 52020; more info at 770-817-6670 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alpharetta: eventbrite.com/o/the-alpharetta-natural-resources-comission-11520264281 or 678-297-6200. Contact Terry Porter at 678-297-6213 or email@example.com for details.
Be sure to save the date for the 2020 Garden Faire on Saturday, April 25, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Bulloch Hall, 180 Bulloch Avenue in Roswell. The free event includes garden vendors and art, crafts, food and children’s activities.